Designed and re-construction 2001-2003

Situated at the crossing of the Pikk and Tolli streets, in the northern part of the old city of Tallinn, the three tightly-knit buildings known as the Three Sisters are of great historical and architectural value.The origins of these merchants’ houses date back to the Middle Ages and the earliest written documentation to the 14 th century, when in 1372 , Richard and Johannes Ryke (from the Dutch Ryk = rich) were recorded as the owners of the buildings on the site. Thereafter, the buildings drifted into the possesion of different owners until in 1649 the entire complex again had a single owner.

Although belonging to one “family”, the Three Sisters are quite different from one another and in the process of designing the hotel, this has become even more evident. Architecturally the most prominent is the corner building, or Big Sister. Its plan, a stretched rectangle, is also different from other late-Gothic dwelling houses in Tallinn.

The two other Sisters appear outwardly more modest, but possess the more interesting interiors. The Middle Sister retains some elements that are typical of buildings elsewhere in old-Tallinn: a centrally located Dornse with the Mantelkorsten, a cooking and washing space covered with a large hood for ventilation.

The Small Sister again has its own special floor plan, divided into  front and rear wings, with a smaller Mantelkorsten in between, and a semi-spiral staircase running up its side wall, clearly visible in the courtyard elevation. It is actually the only “original” staircase in the complex and can be used as an escape route. All other staircases have been added later during different periods.

 In the design of the guestrooms, their principal features were suggested by the buildings themselves. The Big Sister was most suitable for a more regular type of guestroom on the two upper floors, with easy access to the elevator. The Middle Sister offered unique large suites, some with separated sitting rooms and bedrooms. The Small Sister has a guestroom on the ground floor (with additional access from the courtyard) and two suites on the upper floors using the Mantelkorsten for ventilation. Finally, a wooden storage facility in the corner of the courtyard against the old city wall was rebuilt to house three guestrooms.

The hotel was awarded a prize as the best restauration project of the year !

The architect’s office re-designed parts of the public areas on the ground floor, which were partly realised (2009-10)


Martinus Schuurman      Architect

Külli Salum                    Interior Architect

Design-construction      2002-2003

Total key number            23

Total built area               1560 m²

Client                             Oü Kolm Õde Tallinn

Project coordination       Oü Vana Tallinn  


































Before renovation 



1st Floor







































Inside view